Mic'ing your bass

Microphones, sound pressure detectors
bustamelon
Site Admin

Re: Mic'ing your bass

Post by bustamelon » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:24 pm

rkparrish wrote: may go with the audix d2 since you and busta like them so much, but the guy at the music store said i may want to consider the audix d6. where does it end?
The D4 and D6 have a lower freq range than the D2, covering more of the bass range, which is what many sound guys and music store guys will lean toward, but keep in mind that these guys probably have little to no experience with a DB. They are used to dealing with kids who play electric bass in really really loud bands with subwoofers under the stage. I like the D2 because it acts as an all-in-one HPF sort of -- it rolls off the really boomy bottom end of the upright that can easily overpower the sound stage.

Of course, you can also do the same thing with a separate piece of equipment further down the signal chain. 6 of one...
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm

bustamelon wrote:
rkparrish wrote: may go with the audix d2 since you and busta like them so much, but the guy at the music store said i may want to consider the audix d6. where does it end?
The D4 and D6 have a lower freq range than the D2, covering more of the bass range, which is what many sound guys and music store guys will lean toward, but keep in mind that these guys probably have little to no experience with a DB. They are used to dealing with kids who play electric bass in really really loud bands with subwoofers under the stage. I like the D2 because it acts as an all-in-one HPF sort of -- it rolls off the really boomy bottom end of the upright that can easily overpower the sound stage.

Of course, you can also do the same thing with a separate piece of equipment further down the signal chain. 6 of one...
Ditto

I never have that "too boomy" problem. I think the D2's frequency range is just right for double bass stage performance.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:04 pm

hey, thanks for the imput guys. that's whats so great about this fourm. we have other mics in the band so the d2 would be another option. think i my bite the bullet and order one today.
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers

Kojack
Sub

Post by Kojack » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:02 pm

gilholland wrote:Chuck, I use that condenser mic yesterday at Mohican Bluegrass festival. It worked great. The only thing I had a problem with it was tough to remove.
Glad you're out gigging, Gil and pleased that you had success with the ATM-35. You're right, it can be a challenge to remove the mic. I tried clipping it to the bridge and to the tail piece without success. Ultimately I clipped it to the bottom of the treble-side f-hole and stuck the mic itself inside the top of the f-hole.

The best way I've found to remove the mic is to wait til your fiddle player wanders past after the gig. Tell him that you've never heard anyone do a better job on "Angeline the Baker." Tell him that you were amazed at his remarkable dexterity. Then, once you've got him smiling and nodding, ask him to use those long skinny fingers of his to fish out your microphone. That should work at least 3 or 4 times.

Cheers,
Chuck

BullFiddle
Padawan

Post by BullFiddle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm

What's the best way to mount an Audix D2?

I saw drum rim clip available. Has anyone tried using that or is there something else available? Or is the H-clamp the best bet?

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:35 am

I use the H-clamp with my D2. Seem to get the best sound from my bass with the mic coming straight up through the the hole in the bridge, between the feet.

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42 am

rkparrish wrote:I use the H-clamp with my D2. Seem to get the best sound from my bass with the mic coming straight up through the the hole in the bridge, between the feet.
Wow, interesting. Can we see a picture of that? What amp are you using?

I run my D2 with H-Clamp off to the side pointing at the treble side f-hole. Lately, at bigger halls I can't seem to get enough gain and have been resorting to my Rev Solo II for these gigs.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 pm

At work right now but I'll try to get a pic up when I get home. Speaking of the Rev II, I recently bought a Peterson StroboStomp 2 strobe tuner. It has a built in DI box. Ran the Rev II to the tuner (1/4") and out to the board with an XLR cord. Really got a great sound that way. Does changing the impedance make that much difference?

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:01 pm

Here is one way I mic my bass.

IMG_0412 (427x640).jpg
here is how i mic my bass
IMG_0412 (427x640).jpg (228.41 KiB) Viewed 8903 times

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 pm

mmm, very clever, never tried it that way. i do like Rick does, pointing at the ff. I find that it's ok in the big spaces, as long as the mic is rrrrrrrright up close, without actually touching.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4