Jazz or Precision?

Electric bass. Bass guitar. Fatback. Pork chop.
wineaux
Legend

Jazz or Precision?

Post by wineaux » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:09 pm

So, what do you electric players prefer? Fender J or Fender P?

I've owned a US-made Fender Jazz since last summer and through an inventory reduction was just able to pick up a US-select Precision for $600 less than the dealer paid for it.

I find them totally different creatures but I'm curious to hear about the pros and cons of each.
'47 Kay S-9
1960s carved German factory bass
1860s German flatback
Paul Beard bass Dobro
Kala U-bass

lowendrick
Legend

Re: Jazz or Precision?

Post by lowendrick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:17 pm

For starters, I like the neck on the pbass more. The jazz necks usually feel too thin for me. Also, the pbass is the sound I hear in my head when I think about a great bass guitar sound. To me it sounds like the classic old school rock and blues.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Neither specifically. I currently own only two electric basses and have probably played a few hundred basses over the years. I think it totally depends upon the bass sound you want with the music you are playing? I would never restrict my playing to one brand or model.

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:58 am

I wouldn't call myself an "electric player," since I haven't actually played an electric on a gig since I don't know when.
But the electric bass I have is a P, because I was in the height of a 60s soul/Motown/Stax phase at the time. Those records are all P-powered. I know of at least three people who traded in their Jazz basses for Precisions after hearing mine, too, which makes me feel like I made the right choice. Not that I couldn't change my mind at any time if I wanted to. And not that I won't ever. It's whatever your preference is at a given time. I was actually looking for a Music Man Sting Ray bass then, for several years -- had my mind totally set on it -- until this one crossed my path.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

daveonbass
Rising Star

Post by daveonbass » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:13 pm

P

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:17 pm

daveonbass wrote:P
A man of very few letters :roll:
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

daveonbass
Rising Star

Post by daveonbass » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Well Rick, I figured you and busta already covered the reasons I prefer the P over the J, But I guess it's what your used to

seenoweevil
Rising Star

Post by seenoweevil » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:38 am

My G & L is kinda a chameleon, can sound some like either, but doesn't really have it's own sound. I started with a jazz, but have migrated to and still prefer the P for electric duty....I just don't prefer electric duty these days!
my band schedule page:
http://www.leipersforkbluegrassgroup.com/id3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

holdsg
Greenhorn

Post by holdsg » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:23 pm

I am an active buyer/seller/trader/GAS fiend when it comes to bass guitars.

I found I prefer P-style basses over J-style basses, mostly because of people like James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Bob Glaub, Bob Babbitt, etc on all those recordings.
But there are many more basses with distinct voices other than just these 2, such as Rics, and Stingray, Hofner/Beatle bass, etc.
I am a kind of player, like many of you, that likes variety. So I have owned hundreds of basses, and I've landed on the following in my current stable:

Vintage P: Mike Lull P4 with Lindy Fralin pickup
Active Jazz 4-string: Mike Lull V4 with Nordstrand Big Singles and Aguilar OBP-2 preamp running at 18v
Active P/J: Spector NS-2 Bolt On with EMG pickups and HAZ lab pre-amp
Active Stingray-type: EBMM Reflex 4HSS
Active Jazz 5er: Mike Lull MV5
Fretless: Rob Allen Mouse

Passive Jazz basses leave me cold, and I disdain the 60-cycle hum. The Nordstrands are great for being single coil but whisper quiet.
I seem to like American made basses, but have owned several imports (I'm not a complete snob), and use them to figure out whether I like a manufacturer or not.