New (to me) 5 String Jazz bass

Electric bass. Bass guitar. Fatback. Pork chop.
flip18436572
Superstar

New (to me) 5 String Jazz bass

Post by flip18436572 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:58 am

So, I bartered one of my 4 strings that I don't play and a little cash for a 5 string Jazz and a 4 string Jazz (Squier). I have some setup work to do with both, but the Squier is really made cheap. Really, really, really cheap. But it plays much better than I expected.
Attachments
5 string Fender Jazz 04-05-17-r.jpg
5 string Fender Jazz 04-05-17-r.jpg (184.7 KiB) Viewed 943 times

cathead77
Superstar

Re: New (to me) 5 String Jazz bass

Post by cathead77 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:25 am

I love the necks in the 5-string Jazz and Precision basses. This one looks good.

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:35 am

I really used to dislike Fender basses, so I never owned one. I have a friend wanting me to play some bass on his newest songs he is working on for his next CD, and I will play upright and electric. So, kinda a good excuse to buy a Fender and I always wanted a 5 string, so it worked out well. I some setup work to do, because the guy that had it did none after his Ex-wife bought it for him a few days before she left him and took most everything else. It just sat in a case. But, nothing that can't be fixed with a few allen wrenches and patience. I have the tools, it is the patience that I have to work on. :D

seenoweevil
Rising Star

Post by seenoweevil » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 am

That's a beauty you have there! I'm kinda partial to Fenders and G & L's. My first electric was a black jazz. It was a 75 and the neck warped so bad you could shoot an arrow with it, but I've had great luck with every other one I've had!
my band schedule page:
http://www.leipersforkbluegrassgroup.com/id3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 am

seenoweevil wrote:That's a beauty you have there! I'm kinda partial to Fenders and G & L's. My first electric was a black jazz. It was a 75 and the neck warped so bad you could shoot an arrow with it, but I've had great luck with every other one I've had!
I really like Ibanez & Charvel basses for the quality when I was buying electric guitars and basses back in the 80's and 90's. But, I was also playing 100% hard rock and classic rock. Now, I play classical, jazz, broadway tunes, bluegrass, newgrass, folk, americana and once in a while rock. I need a 24 fret bass back in the day, so Fender was out, and I didn't like the feel of the necks at that time. But, I was also going from playing guitar mostly to playing bass all the time. I think there are so many great guitar and bass makers, that it all depends upon what you are wanting to play. Some only play Fender or only Martin, or only Gibson, etc... I have player really good and really bad of all brands of guitars and basses. And Ukulele is just as bad. Even some of the good brands of those are junk or abused to the point of being junk.

I am really liking the feel of the 5 string, but I have a LOT of learning to do and of course, a lot of practice.

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:32 am

OK 5 string electric bass players ----- Do you ever get better at the 5 string while also playing mostly 4 string? I find myself playing the low B instead of the E out of habit, even though I know it sounds wrong, but it feels correct with both hands, because that is where I play a lot of things.

So, do you mostly just play your 5 string?
or....
Do you play your 4 string most of the time and only the 5 string when it is needed?

I have 4 electric basses and 3 that I want to play a lot. One of those is the 5 string Jazz. i got the setup all done correctly and it sounds good, but I still have issues with the b string.

cathead77
Superstar

Post by cathead77 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:34 am

I finally got to where it's pretty much second nature to me. I have been playing only the 5-stringers for quite a while, now. I love the low D most of all. I try not to overkill it and use it sparingly so I'll appreciate it more when I hear it......haha. Also, I'm back in a flat wound mode again. They're easier on my fingers and I think the tone matched the stuff we've been playing better than round wound.

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:26 pm

cathead77 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:34 am
I finally got to where it's pretty much second nature to me. I have been playing only the 5-stringers for quite a while, now. I love the low D most of all. I try not to overkill it and use it sparingly so I'll appreciate it more when I hear it......haha. Also, I'm back in a flat wound mode again. They're easier on my fingers and I think the tone matched the stuff we've been playing better than round wound.
So really it is just strap on the heavy 5 string and just keep on practicing and get the low b in my mind and use it more. OK. I really make stupid mistakes because I base all of my fingering off of the low E, so now that is a low B and I am playing and E riff when I should be playing an A riff. Or that kind of mistakes. Or when I really need the open E and I hit open B. :-) I quit in the middle of practice last week and brought out my latest 4 string, because I was frustrated.

What are you running for strings???