New Year's Day Jam

LeftyBass
Rising Star

New Year's Day Jam

Post by LeftyBass » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

Hi all - (some of you won't know me (yet), and some you probably thought I'd fallen off the edge of the earth!) - :lol:

Hubby and I were invited to play at a BG jam on New Year's Day - and we only had to drive 230 miles round trip to do it. The weather was sunny and clear, so the mountain roads were safe (not the usual for this time of year). About 9 musicians, with about six or so listeners, and a lot of fun. Only casualty? My primary string plucking finger! Got a massive blood blister after playing for three hours, for the first time in two months. Owie! It never did break, but I still have a very dark red blotch on the end of my finger. Guess that's my punishment for going so long between sessions.

Just wanted to say "Hi", and let you know that I'll be around a little more often than I have been recently. Hope all is well with you.

Lefty Bass
Left-handed Player on a Right-handed Bass

lowendrick
Legend

Re: New Year's Day Jam

Post by lowendrick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:56 am

Hey Lefty, glad you're back!
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

seenoweevil
Rising Star

Post by seenoweevil » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 am

Good to see you back Lefty! I've been playing my Kay with synthetics the last month at home. Played the gig bass with Spirocores for a couple hours at practice last week.....let's just say you and I probably have matching fingers!
my band schedule page:
http://www.leipersforkbluegrassgroup.com/id3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kenbear
Legend

Post by kenbear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 am

I pulled a blister on my right index finger a few months back, first one in years! guess I need to pick a little more also.
Glad to see you back, hope you are having a great new year!

Bassectomy
Rising Star

Post by Bassectomy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Lefty,
If your blister is on the end or the pad of your finger, I'd guess you pluck with that portion of your finger than with the side of your index finger, as I did for years. I knew I should be using the side of the index finger next to the thumb instead of the pad(tip) but having been an electric bass player before taking up the upright, the pad was just natural to use and when I'd try using the side of my index finger, it not only felt strange but I felt it slowed me down, so I never switched, and subsequently frequently got a sore finger and sometimes a blister. However, about 5 years ago I had hand surgery for a nodule on my flexor tendon on my middle finger (I would use both index and middle fingers to pluck the strings, just as I had on the electric bass). Consequently, I had to convert to plucking with the side of my index finger to avoid recurrence of the nodule and now I do it "the recommended way" and I no longer have had any problem with my tendons and I rarely have any problem with sore plucking fingers or blisters. It was a bit tough to switch but it's been worth it. I guess I was forced into it, and I am a bit slower, but that's only a problem if I'm taking a bass solo on a fast song, which isn't that often. They say that plucking with the side of the index finger allows you to get more "meat" on the string, which may improve your volume and tone-I'm not completely convinced about that but it certainly makes it easier on your fingers. I remember Kip Martin, who played bass with Jimmy Martin, say that Jimmy claimed he could hear the difference when the bass player plucked the string with a finger other than his index finger and had a signal to remind his bass player if he used anything other than his index finger-Kip claimed Jimmy could hear the difference!

It may take some effort to switch but as one who has done it, I can definitely recommend it-less finger tenderness/blisters and possibly better and/or consistant sound-a pretty good trade off for the inconvenience of switching, I'd say. Just my 2 cents worth.
"I'd rather have a bottle in fronta me than a frontal lobotomy"...Grandad Baker-circa 1967

wineaux
Legend

Post by wineaux » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:33 am

Wow, the same anecdote from the late Kip Martin in two different threads, from two different posters, on the same day! Somewhere Kip is smiling!
'47 Kay S-9
1960s carved German factory bass
1860s German flatback
Paul Beard bass Dobro
Kala U-bass