Slap patterns

BullFiddle
Padawan

Slap patterns

Post by BullFiddle » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Hey all,

I took a music camp this last week with Mark Schatz, and he bought up this slap pattern that I'd never heard before but he was saying you can hear a lot in bluegrass bass solos.

He called it a bossa nova patern in 4/4 and it goes 1-2-3 1-2-3 1-2 or 1-double slap 1- double slap, 1- single slap

I can do it but am having a hard time integrating it into a solo or bass line. Has anyone heard of this or know of a recording / player where I can hear it in action?

Ben

bustamelon
Site Admin

Re: Slap patterns

Post by bustamelon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 pm

I guess there aren't a lot of slappers here. Or a lot of anybody for that matter.
Wish I could offer something helpful but I just never got into it.

But that's cute that he calls it the Bossa Nova pattern. I can see where he gets that. But, to me, it's more of a rumba or bolero. Hey, I split hairs whenever I can.
8-)
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:25 am

I am following in case someone that actually does slap (not me) comes in to help out. I keep looking for lessons, but there is nobody close to me.

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:53 am

I've gone through different phases with slapping. There have been periods of time when I have slapped a lot (too much) and sometimes not at all. Now I just add a tiny bit for dynamic effect. Eg Leading into a crescendo moment or punctuating the end of a section etc....

That bossa pattern works well. It's a nice change up to use for a short solo. Alan Bartrum does a nice intro with this pattern on one of Del's newer songs.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

BullFiddle
Padawan

Post by BullFiddle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:20 pm

I usually try to keep it to solos, or solos over basic blues, where you can play with the melody a bit. Otherwise, mainly single slaps to highlight the end of a phrase or in a bass run. Thanks for the Bartrum suggestion.

As far as lessons go, flip, I've never had any either. I consider it a very personalized technique with lots of interpretations. There are some basic techniques but I've seen quite few creative ways as well. There are ton's of youtube videos out there plus i'd suggest Lee Rocker's DVD/video, Mark Schatz video, and Missy Raines video.

cathead77
Superstar

Post by cathead77 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:23 am

This is a weird slap pattern.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/w9OrgwFxgDs[/youtube]