Gollihur Music

First upright what strings?

Maybe this should get its own category: STRINGS, guts, steels, synthetics, weedwackers

First upright what strings?

Postby FuzzyBeard » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:34 pm

Well looks like i will be ordering my first upright. And I need to figure out what strings to have them put on. Seems like alot of guys I have seen play supernils. But I hear they can wear a fingerboard pretty bad. Also hear super silver's are nice and obglatoes also.

So I play mostly folk and blues with country and grass and gospel in there. I will be using the upright for pizz with the ever so slight use of slap and pop. I want a string with lower tension and easy on the hands!

So any ideals? I know this is a very tough and personal question thanks for any help you can give!
1943 Kay M1
Innovation silver slaps
FuzzyBeard
Padawan

Re: First upright what strings?

Postby MytBrednec » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Fuzzy,
I am a really, really inexperienced bass player so take my input with that in mind, but I put Super Silvers on my old American Standard and have been very happy with them so far. I have had no issues with them hurting my fingers from playing, They are fairly smooth feeling and have a nice thump. Good luck with you new bass.

Shawn
1949ish Gretsch 6185 archtop
1995 Gibson J-200
2000 Taylor 510
1956 Gibson LG 1 (technically this is my Mom's guitar)
1951 American Standard bass
3 fiddles
1 Washburn "F" mandolin
1970's Epiphone FT 140 guitar, my first guitar
MytBrednec
Superstar

Postby bass5snake » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm

I've been using Helicore Orchestrals medium lately and Zyex. This also depends on your bass. You might have to try out a few sets to find out which ones you like.

Goodluck!

Richie
2009 Upton Standard Ply w/ Realist
Christopher DB 103 w/ K&K Sound Bass Max pick up
bass5snake
Superstar

Postby FuzzyBeard » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:20 pm

If it helps any i plan on ordering a Shen SB-90.
1943 Kay M1
Innovation silver slaps
FuzzyBeard
Padawan

Postby Gufenov » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:15 am

Uh-oh.

Somebody needs to tell you. Might as well be me...

The question you have asked, "What strings..." is not a question at all. It's a disease. You'll find an answer and you'll be happy with your string choice . . . for a while. Then, you'll hear someone else's bass, and you'll wonder, "what if I..." Before long, you'll be arguing with yourself:

"Those Titanium Slaps sounded so GOOD!" 8-)
"Yes, but you just paid $175 for the Evan Pirratzoes!" :x
"But it'll be WORTH it to finally find MY sound!" 8-)
"Sure! Some people don't mind food stamps at all!" :roll:
"But that guy on Bass Grass said..." : :D
"Doesn't mean it'll work on YOUR bass. :twisted: "
"Hey, what about GUTS? Pure sound, easy on the hands. Traditional, too." :pipe:
"You might as well flush your money down the toilet..." :cry:

Welcome to the Ward, Fuzzy.

FWIW, I really, really liked the Silver Slaps and wore out several sets on my Engelhardt.
I tried the Innovation Rockabillys, loved the feel, hated the volume loss on my bass.
Also wore out several sets of Obligatos, but they wore out too quick for what they cost - about 6 months, max.

I'm currently using Spirocores. Love the sound, but they're probably not what you're looking for tension-wise.
Gufenov
Legend

Postby lowendrick » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 am

Glad you said it Gufenov, I was too afraid to scare off fuzzybeard. I went from "unknown strings" on my first bass to Innovation Blacks (great thump, easy on the fingers, relatively short life), to Rockabillys (love the low tension, hated the low volume), to Tomastik Superflexible Solos (love the low tension and steel core, they are now on my Eminence) to Obligatos (worst shelf life around) to Spirocore Mittels which are now on both my 3/4 basses. Interesting note on tension though: Same Spirocore set has way lower tension on my old Meisel ply compared to my Upton hybrid. Has a lot to do with setup I believe. Spiros really work for me....great volume, nice sustain, smooth finish, steel core, great growl when I want it, and they last forever. The set on my Upton is going on 5 years I think.

fwiw: I played JohnBP's bass for 2 gigs in Florida recently. He had Silver Slaps on his Kay (I believe). They had that classic bluegrass thump. Really great sound. A bit thick, but if you want a "gut" experience without the cost and maintenance this might be the way to go.

on and on and never fully satisfied.... :roll:
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
'50s Meisel 9005 ply West Germany
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L
lowendrick
Legend

Postby FuzzyBeard » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:48 am

Hmm seems like a slippery slope ;)

Seems like a few of you like the super slaps. Am i reading to much into it to think these are more for slapping than pizz?

Also any info on the supernils? Are they tough on the finger board?
1943 Kay M1
Innovation silver slaps
FuzzyBeard
Padawan

Postby JohnBP » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:07 pm

I agree comepletely that the question of "which strings?" will put you into the asylum. I will say that Supernils would be my LAST choice, for multiple reasons. Those were Golden Slaps on my bass, Rick, and having played some thinner strings recently, I agree that especially the A and E strings are thick. One of the good things about we bassists is that most of us understand this string affliction and are more than willing to allow others to try out whatever it is that we're using. My advice would be to play as many different sets as possible. Play them soft, loud, bowed, slapped and any other way you can get away with in order to get a good representation of how they work for YOU. I like Innovations but have recently played other brands that have varied gauges and was very impressed. So the search goes on. All of the aforementioned traits factor in, that it is not even close to being an easy process. Good luck!
'56 Kay MB1
'41 Epiphone B5
Hohner Fretless
Acoustic Image Contra
JohnBP
Sub

Postby Tejano » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Different Strokes for Different Folks . . . becomes . . . Different Strings for the Same Bass for the Same Play-ah! . . . Then - Repeat: Again & Again! . . . & Again! . . . The Never-Ending Search!! :roll:

Example/Case in Point: I had Super Silvers on a '42 Kay that I thought were the best thing since sliced bread; however, when wineuax bought it from me, he did not care for the feel of them - tension was just "too low" for his preference as I recall . . . However, no one ever critisized/found fault with the Sound ;)

I'm bettin' $$$s to donuts that you won't like whatever "factory strings" which may come with/on your new Bass . . . Yes, Innovation Super Silvers are a very popular choice & as good as any as a starter set that at the very least will most likely not disappoint and/or bring about buyer's remorse; however, all of which is not to say that at some point, you will be tempted to replace them for your very own "what-evah!" reasons.

Good Luck with that!!! . . . ;)
Tejano
(teh-ha'-no)
Tejano
Superstar

Postby bass5snake » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:03 pm

I Labella guts on my Engle right now with A Silver Slaps. I like the volume of Silver Slaps but I don't really like the tension.

You might like it though. You also might wanna try the Super Silvers. I think those are the next set I'm trying.
2009 Upton Standard Ply w/ Realist
Christopher DB 103 w/ K&K Sound Bass Max pick up
bass5snake
Superstar

Next

Return to Strings