Superior strings

Maybe this should get its own category: STRINGS, guts, steels, synthetics, weedwackers
BullFiddle
Padawan

Superior strings

Post by BullFiddle » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:40 pm

I was at a Hot Club of Cowtown show a little while back and got to talk with their bass guy about his setup. He run's the newer EP slaps on the E and A and these Superior stings on the D and G. I got a set since I was already using the Slaps and am trying them out. Wow! These are great. A great alternative to real gut. I think these are the loudest strings I've ever used. Real cheap and they come sets of 6 gauges so you can customize your setup. I think the website is superiorbassstrings or something like that and they also sell on amazon.

Bassectomy
Rising Star

Re: Superior strings

Post by Bassectomy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:30 pm

Bull,
Sounds interesting. I'll check them out if I can find them. I've used Innovation Super Silvers for years and recently tried the Super Slaps but I find them too low tension for my taste. The Superior A, D andG strings might be a good substitute. How are the tension on the Superiors? Are they higher tension than gut, at least on your set (what set did you buy)? If you'd rather communicate via email, mine is jrbaker67<at>yahoo<dot>com. thanks for your input.
"I'd rather have a bottle in fronta me than a frontal lobotomy"...Grandad Baker-circa 1967

BullFiddle
Padawan

Re: Superior strings

Post by BullFiddle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

I've used the Innovation Rockabilly's and those are supposed to be "medium" tension. I'd rate these definitely "low" tension similar to the Evah Pirazzi slaps I still have on the E and A. The fact that they come in sets of 6 means you can take the 4 (or 2) that you want. If the largest gauge doesn't seem to work, you can try the next one down on the low E for example. They come in 3 versions. A "slick" with no texture, one with texture on one side, and the "Deluxe" the one I chose which is fully textured and in RED! If your interested I'd take a look at the website. When I ordered I emailed them first and they suggested that I order through Amazon since their inventory was kinda low.

They are practically effortless to play compared to higher tension steel or metal wrapped. Plus, the feel is real easy on the fingers.