Fishman Full Circle Retired

Pickups, pups, piezos, magnetos, inductors
Slipshot
Padawan

Fishman Full Circle Retired

Post by Slipshot » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:28 pm

I just got a new pickup, a Schertler DYN-B, along with the matching preamp. In the past I have used the FRAP pickup, the Barcus Berry, the Polytone, the Underwood, the Fishman BP100, the Fishman Blender, the K&K Bass Max, the Revolution Solo, the Dave Gage Realist, and the Fishman Full Circle, and to me at least, the Schertler sounds much more natural than any of them. In fact, it sounds pretty much like a microphone, but doesn't feedback as readily as a microphone and there is no sound bleed. I'm wondering if anyone else out there in the Bluegrass Bass World has had a chance to hear or use one of these. I had picked up an Acoustic Image Amp a year ago and was never all that pleased with the sound of the Fishman Full Circle played through it. The Schertler sounds just great played through the Acoustic Image and I am finally starting to get some use out of it.

Basshawg
Legend

Re: Fishman Full Circle Retired

Post by Basshawg » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:22 pm

Never heard of it, but, if its giving you the sound you want to hear, great!! That's what its all about. We each have a unique sound we're looking for. If you got that "Special sound" with that set up, Awesome!!! Some folks are STILL searching......

Basshawg
"I swing big wood."
1950ish B-4 Epiphone
D'Addario Helicore Hybrid Med. Strings
Adjustable Bridge
Fishman Full Circle Pickup
Acoustic Image Contra Series 11a
B52 18 inch 1200 watt mega bass speaker
Fishman Pro EQ

mspbass
Padawan

Post by mspbass » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm

They are suppose to be the next best things other than a mic. I have always been interested but need to play at high volumes at times which the Realist can handle.

iiipopes
Greenhorn

Post by iiipopes » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:32 am

Did the OP ever try a Fishman Full Circle "upside down," also referred to in the Fishman manual as "threads up"? I have that installation, and the Full Circle tone is "rounder" this way.

Slipshot
Padawan

Post by Slipshot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Never tried the pickup upside down, but since my bridge legs had already been tapped for a right side up installation, I expect that I would have had to have a new bridge fitted in order to make that happen...

Bassectomy
Rising Star

Post by Bassectomy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:03 am

Slip,
Where did you get the Schertler? Cost?
"I'd rather have a bottle in fronta me than a frontal lobotomy"...Grandad Baker-circa 1967

Slipshot
Padawan

Post by Slipshot » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:42 pm

I got it from a local Connecticut bass repairman, Dave Mix. You can get them at Amazon.com as well, though it looks as though the price has gone up quite a bit recently. They are designed to be used like a mic and be played through a PA, not a combo amp. I use an amp a lot, so I got the matching Schertler preamp which is supposed to help modify the signal for amp use. I am still laboring under a learning curve and have put the Fishman back into use for some situations where the acoustics of the room or crowd noise or something else frustrates my attempts to get a decent sound with the Schertler. Still, when conditions are good, the Schertler sounds better than any bass pickup I have heard, and better than some microphones.

http://www.davidmix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.com/Schertler-DYN-B-f ... 341&sr=8-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;