Ehrlund EAP

Pickups, pups, piezos, magnetos, inductors
bustamelon
Site Admin

Ehrlund EAP

Post by bustamelon » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Been having some trouble with my setup lately. For almost a year now, actually. My pickup (Full Circle) makes a terrible noise through my amp (Coda). And sometimes other pickups, or even mics, do the same thing, but not as bad. So I thought the problem was the amp. So I posted something about it on that other bass site, and found that a lot of people have had similar issues with this pickup, that it either produces a "too hot" signal for many amps, or that it can flake over time and produce crackling and distortion. So then I started to wonder if it's the pickup. Ugh.

Tried a lot of things. The Coda has an input gain stage, and even if that's way down almost to 0, I still get the problem. So I've tried putting gadgets and funny cables and adapters in front of the amp. I tried a cable with a 1/4 plug on one side and a balanced XLR plug on the other, thinking I could use the 10dB pad on that connection, but even without the pad, there is so much signal loss it's unusable. I think this is because the input impedance in the Coda's XLR jack is too low for the FC. I've looked into attenuator cables, preamps with negative gain, voodoo, prayer, a sledgehammer. No, just kidding about the last few. But I'm at wit's end with this nonsense. I'm still struggling.

Rick at AI has been great. He already took the Coda back once and replaced the circuit board, which fixed a different problem, but not this one. I reached out to him again, and he offered to make a gain mod to the amp, but I am holding off on that for now. I mentioned a possible issue with the bottom speaker, and he is going to send a replacement speaker for me to DIY. So there's some hope. And fdeck from that other place is going to either make me a modified cable, or show me how to make it, or maybe even make me a modified HPF Pre.

I think I mentioned something about a pickup in the title.... oh, right. And now, on that other site, I've been reading about this new-ish pickup, that's not really a pickup, but an "Acoustic Linear Microphone." Similar to the Dyn-B, but by most accounts, more natural and transparent. But there are a few gotchas. It's outrageously expensive. :o And it comes with a lot of extra cable that's apparently hyper sensitive to any kind of movement or contact, and needs to be either shortened or very carefully stabilized. But the good folks at Gollihur offer it with a 7 day trial period. So if all the above don't yield positive results, I may be guinea pigging soon. :geek:
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

MytBrednec
Superstar

Re: Ehrlund EAP

Post by MytBrednec » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:01 pm

Busta,
Your signature mentions your old Epi has a Realist p/u. Have you tried it to see if you encounter the same issues? Might not help, but might be worth a shot.

Shawn
1949ish Gretsch 6185 archtop
1995 Gibson J-200
2000 Taylor 510
1956 Gibson LG 1 (technically this is my Mom's guitar)
1951 American Standard bass
3 fiddles
1 Washburn "F" mandolin
1970's Epiphone FT 140 guitar, my first guitar

bustamelon
Site Admin

Re: Ehrlund EAP

Post by bustamelon » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I did try that, a long time ago, and found it to be less of a problem, but still not totally clean.

Which should really make me rethink the stupid notion of dropping so much ca$h on a new pickup that will probably also sound bad through my broken amp. :lol:

Thanks again for the sage wisdom.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4