pickup connections

Pickups, pups, piezos, magnetos, inductors
flip18436572
Superstar

pickup connections

Post by flip18436572 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:55 am

I own a Shadow pickup and I think I get a good sound considering it is not a microphone that can pick up the sounds better than any pickup should be able to duplicate. With that being said, I am trying to find a good secure way to mount the 1/4" female connector to the bass without doing anything damaging to the bass or the female connector end. The solder joints for any cable is very small and I have had the wires break at the solder joint 2 times in the last 3 years and of course I have a spare microphone and mic stand available at any show for such an issue. But, I know this should not be a huge issue for bass players. I now have a backup pickup that I am carrying in my gig box rather than switching microphone and mic stand setups. But again, there has to be a better way to keep the cable secure to the bass. I am thinking about velcro and putting it on the bottom side of the tailpiece. I hook up my electrical when my bass is laying on its side anyway, so why not put it on the bottom?????

I am looking for ideas, suggestions, pictures of what you are doing.

Thanks in advance, and I hope people are actually reading this forum still.

bustamelon
Site Admin

Re: pickup connections

Post by bustamelon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Sounds like you are looking for a "jack mount?"
I'd google for "double bass jack mount" or similar.

I do know that Gollihur ships their own mounts with some pickups. Not sure how that works but it's described on their site as being simple to install, without requiring removal of any strings.

David Gage also ships one with their pickups, that *does* require you to remove one string and secure the mount through one of the string holes in the tailpiece.

I would recommend browsing these two guys' websites, and/or contacting them. I don't know if they sell these separately. If they do, I can't imagine they would set you back much, although we all know bass gear is a pretty small niche, and the littlest things can have a big price tag. Still, worth it I think to solve what can be a big problem.

Good luck!
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:56 pm

What Busta said +1

I may have an extra "mount" at home. I'll check if I ever get out of work :roll:
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:07 pm

I ordered one and will try it out. Thank you very much. I was searching and that never showed up and that is exactly what I think I was looking for. i was going to go to my shop and build something similar, but figured there had to be something already available that I was not finding.

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 am

My tail piece has fine adjustment tuners on it, so I can't use it the same as other on the tail piece, but I mounted it to the bridge and nobody could tell the difference in the sound of the bass, so it must be OK.

Thanks for the heads up.