Mic'ing your bass

Microphones, sound pressure detectors
lowendrick
Legend

Re: Mic'ing your bass

Post by lowendrick » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

hey rk, i think we have the same bass. maybe i already knew that? anyway, thanks for the picture. i am definitely trying that mic position next chance i get.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:42 am

ric, let me know how it works for you. depending on where we are playing I may swing the arm out a little and angle the mic toward the bass. Setting the mic at the f-hole seemed to give me a lot of the woof woof sound and I don't know enough about a sound system to ever get that adjusted out.
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers

JUUZEK
Sub

Post by JUUZEK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 am

When I had an AT Pro35, I'd mic near the ff hole. When I switched to the ATM350, the ff position sounded too muddy, too boomy. After a bit of trial and error, I ended up between the bridge feet. It was interesting since these are mics from the same company, with a very similar response, on the same bass.

JakedeVilliers
Padawan

Post by JakedeVilliers » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:40 am

JUUZEK wrote:When I had an AT Pro35, I'd mic near the ff hole. When I switched to the ATM350, the ff position sounded too muddy, too boomy. After a bit of trial and error, I ended up between the bridge feet. It was interesting since these are mics from the same company, with a very similar response, on the same bass.
The mics are really quite different in their response. The Pro ATM 35 frequency response is limited to 50-15,000Hz whereas the ATM 350 is much wider at 40-20,000Hz.

ATM Pro 35: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ATM 350: http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are a few other differences too if you peruse the specifications page.
Jake de Villiers
Proprietor - The Bass Spa