Mic'ing your bass

Microphones, sound pressure detectors
bustamelon
Site Admin

Re: Mic'ing your bass

Post by bustamelon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:01 pm

Yeah, I was going to say more or less the same thing. It makes things a little trickier but it's definitely not out of the question. I think condensers in general are just more prone to feedback and so you have to be more careful using them. In many cases, though they *usually* sound more accurate, they can be a poor choice on a loud, big or windy stage because they tend to pick up a lot of ambient noise, which is not what you want.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

Kojack
Sub

Post by Kojack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 pm

Gufenov wrote:
Kojack wrote:My personal choice has been the ATM-35
I tried this mic at a festival, run through the sound board, and loved it. I'm wondering if / how I can run it through an amp? I have a Fender Bassman 250 and it has a dual setting on the input for high / low impedance. I also have XLR to 1/4" adapters. Any experience with this?
I do have experience with this but I'm afraid it won't help you much. My ATM-35 is wireless. So the mic runs into a wireless transmitter that's Velcroed to the the back of the tail-piece. The wireless receiver sits next to (and plugs into) my Acoustic Image amp. The wireless is one more link in the chain that can fail, but I've had no bad experiences so far.

No experience running adapters, but there are lots of smart folks here who might have a better feel for that.

With a wired ATM-35, could you run it into something like an ART Tube MP preamp and then run that into your Bassman? That might add a little noise to the signal chain but that might be an acceptable compromise for you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Chuck

BobGollihur
Padawan

Post by BobGollihur » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:42 pm

rkparrish wrote:really glad this thread popped up. when you mic your bass do you mic over the f hole or over the body of the bass and why?
Depends.

If volumes (competition) are high I'll gravitate to the f-hole, though never directly at it. Usually close but perhaps at an angle so the sound blows over the mic rather than directly at it. That seems to give me the best volume/noise ratio to avoid bleed and get enough volume before feedback.

If volumes are sane, I like to start with it up towards the end of the fingerboard to get a sound with more air and fingerboard. BTW, using a pickup for onstage monitoring but sending a mic to the board for "real bass" sound can be a great combination.

IME best thing you can do is get a set of headphones that fully cup your ear to isolate the acoustic sound from the mic's amplified sound and try various locations.
Bob Gollihur
Personal bass page: http://www.eclecticbass.com/bass
Upright Bass Links: http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm
Gollihur Music Upright Bass FAQs: http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq.cfm

"Life is too short for Bad Tone"

Kojack
Sub

Post by Kojack » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 pm

It's very good to see you here, Bob.

Cheers,
Chuck

JUUZEK
Sub

Post by JUUZEK » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Kojack wrote:
Gufenov wrote:
Kojack wrote:My personal choice has been the ATM-35
I tried this mic at a festival, run through the sound board, and loved it. I'm wondering if / how I can run it through an amp? I have a Fender Bassman 250 and it has a dual setting on the input for high / low impedance. I also have XLR to 1/4" adapters. Any experience with this?
I do have experience with this but I'm afraid it won't help you much. My ATM-35 is wireless. So the mic runs into a wireless transmitter that's Velcroed to the the back of the tail-piece. The wireless receiver sits next to (and plugs into) my Acoustic Image amp. The wireless is one more link in the chain that can fail, but I've had no bad experiences so far.

No experience running adapters, but there are lots of smart folks here who might have a better feel for that.

With a wired ATM-35, could you run it into something like an ART Tube MP preamp and then run that into your Bassman? That might add a little noise to the signal chain but that might be an acceptable compromise for you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Chuck
You would need to run the ATM350 or Pro35 into a pre amp, specifically one with phantom power. Since they are condensers, these mics won't work without Phantom Power. You would not be able to use an XLR- 1/4 inch with this mic.

Gufenov
Legend

Post by Gufenov » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 am

JUUZEK wrote:
Kojack wrote:
Kojack wrote:With a wired ATM-35, could you run it into something like an ART Tube MP preamp and then run that into your Bassman? That might add a little noise to the signal chain but that might be an acceptable compromise for you.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Chuck
You would need to run the ATM350 or Pro35 into a pre amp, specifically one with phantom power. Since they are condensers, these mics won't work without Phantom Power. You would not be able to use an XLR- 1/4 inch with this mic.
Great input, thanks, guys! I have a small, "Audio Buddy" preamp / direct box that sit nicely on top of the amp. It has both XLR and 1/4" inputs with adjustable gain and phantom power and 1/4" output to the amp. With the adjustable gain and the EQ options on the amp, I should be able to get a clean sound. I'll give that a try first!

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:57 am

i have been trying different mics and such on my bass trying to find that sound everyone looks for. trying to decide which mic to buy, there are some i would love to try but don't have access to. but, after reading this thread i ordered the h-calmp from Bob Gollihur. had it shipped to work and got it yesterday. used it at a gig last night and it was great!! for me it is the best mic mount i have used and solved many of the problems we had trying to mic the bass. now if i could just settle on a mic.....
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers

gilholland
Up and Coming

Post by gilholland » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:11 am

Chuck, I use that condenser mic yesterday at Mohican Bluegrass festival. It worked great. The only thing I had a problem with it was tough to remove.
Gil
1955 Kay C-1 Cleo
Not pretty, but she BOOMS!!
I'm a lefty but play it right., or is it right handed??

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 am

rkparrish wrote:i have been trying different mics and such on my bass trying to find that sound everyone looks for. trying to decide which mic to buy, there are some i would love to try but don't have access to. but, after reading this thread i ordered the h-calmp from Bob Gollihur. had it shipped to work and got it yesterday. used it at a gig last night and it was great!! for me it is the best mic mount i have used and solved many of the problems we had trying to mic the bass. now if i could just settle on a mic.....
what mic were you using?
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:44 am

played with two groups last night. first group was a combo of old country, old rock-n-roll and blues. used my brothers akg d2000. everyone said it sounded great. we were the second group, some old country but mostly bluegrass. used a shure sm57. everyone said it sounded great. i couldn't really tell from where i was standing. wish we had someone out front who really knew what to listen for, but i guess if everyone likes it then what does it matter. the h-clamp performed great. attaches easy and stays put. my brother brought me a set of drum mics his son had to try also. i'll start on them tomorrow. may go with the audix d2 since you and busta like them so much, but the guy at the music store said i may want to consider the audix d6. where does it end?
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers