Mic'ing your bass

Microphones, sound pressure detectors
PlyGuy
Up and Coming

Re: Mic'ing your bass

Post by PlyGuy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Kojack wrote:
My personal choice has been the ATM-35 [shown below]. It's small, dependable, easy to carry, easy to set up and I can clamp it in an f-hole and forget about it. I'm a big fan of idiot-proof equipment, and the ATM-35 gives me that. Some may be concerned that a small-diaphragm condenser is a compromise that doesn't capture the full sound of an upright. That may be the case. But I've been satisfied with the results.

I have the ATM-35 too, and like it very much. We have one at the Pennyroyal also and everyone who uses it, likes it.

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:09 pm

rkparrish wrote:really glad this thread popped up. when you mic your bass do you mic over the f hole or over the body of the bass and why?
I keep experimenting. Haven't settled on the perfect spot. Its usually not right at the f-hole, although that has worked best on at least one gig.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

RobRavlin
Greenhorn

Post by RobRavlin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Lowend, you probably didn't mention you had friends in the nuke bussiness?

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:05 pm

Live, I usually do go right (and I mean RIGHT) up to the ff, within a centimeter anyway, but at a 45 deg angle out and down, treble side, upper opening with the dynamic mic. This way, it doesn't necessarily get the best sound possible, but the gain on the board can stay relatively low and there is zero feedback issues.

... but now you all have the gears in my head turning again, so I'll have to try experimenting.

Studio is a different story, and is never the same twice.
huntington_st_2.jpg
huntington_st_2.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 9077 times
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:10 pm

RobRavlin wrote:Lowend, you probably didn't mention you had friends in the nuke bussiness?
:o I do?
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

RobRavlin
Greenhorn

Post by RobRavlin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:19 am

Busta, did you have to post the pic of your baby? That's teasing...... :D

Gufenov
Legend

Post by Gufenov » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:19 am

Kojack wrote:My personal choice has been the ATM-35 [shown below]. It's small, dependable, easy to carry, easy to set up and I can clamp it in an f-hole and forget about it. I'm a big fan of idiot-proof equipment, and the ATM-35 gives me that. Some may be concerned that a small-diaphragm condenser is a compromise that doesn't capture the full sound of an upright. That may be the case. But I've been satisfied with the results.
I tried this mic at a festival, run through the sound board, and loved it. I'm wondering if / how I can run it through an amp? I have a Fender Bassman 250 and it has a dual setting on the input for high / low impedance. I also have XLR to 1/4" adapters. Any experience with this?

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:28 am

RobRavlin wrote:Busta, did you have to post the pic of your baby? That's teasing...... :D
Well, I wanted to show the mic clipped on. Of course, you can't see it very well...
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:49 am

i have heard you can't mix condenser and dynamic mics on stage. we had a small festival and one of the bass players brought a small condenser mic for his bass. it caused problems with the sound and gave the sound guy a fit. next band went back to a dynamic mic and everything went back to normal. anything to this or just a weak sound man.
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers

ElwoodGruff
Sub

Post by ElwoodGruff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 am

From my experience, it's just a soundman who didn't want to fool with tweaking the sound to get it right for the condenser.

I've played in various configurations using both types of mics, it just took extra tweaking. And I've seen many professionals use a condesor for everyone to stand around and then a couple SM57 for people to step up to to take solos.

It's easier if you have all the same kind of mics, especially if you're not used to using the other kind. Just sound to me like a lazy or inexperienced sound guy.