Mic'ing your bass

Microphones, sound pressure detectors
ElwoodGruff
Sub

Mic'ing your bass

Post by ElwoodGruff » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:45 am

OK, since there are no posts in this section I'm gonna start here too, just like I did in the band section before. :D (I just really don't likeseeing no threads in a section.)

99% of the time I use a pickup or we played unamplified. But occasionally I have to mic my bass, and I got to thinking about how everyone else does it. So...

What is the best way you've found to mic your bass?

I've always found a Shure SM57 wrapped in a handerkerchief and wedged behind the tailpeice is best for me.

wineaux
Legend

Re: Mic'ing your bass

Post by wineaux » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:42 am

I'm a fan of the H-clamp sold by Bob Gollihur. Expensive, but it keeps the mic in the sweetspot no matter how much I move around. I use it with an SM57. One of these days, I'm going to attach a bigger shock mount and see if a large diaphragm mic will work with the clamp.
'47 Kay S-9
1960s carved German factory bass
1860s German flatback
Paul Beard bass Dobro
Kala U-bass

ElwoodGruff
Sub

Post by ElwoodGruff » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:25 pm

I liked the soundI got using the H-Clamp, but I move around so much it wouldn't stay on; so I sold it.

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:46 pm

ElwoodGruff wrote:I liked the soundI got using the H-Clamp, but I move around so much it wouldn't stay on; so I sold it.
:D Yeah, I love my new (used) H-clamp. I move around a bit, but I guess not too much. Played a completely insane hippie festival on a farm in the middle of nowhere last night. Was supposed to go on at 10PM but they ran late and we didn't get on until 11:45PM. Soundman was in no mood for complicated rigs so I kept my AI amp in the car, clipped on the h-clamp with a Audix D2 and was good to go. Handed the soundman my XLR cable and went straight to the board. The band used a large condensor for vocals and 2 SM57s for instruments. Sounded really great. Incredibly clear and natural. But I'm guessing all those tripping hippies barely noticed the quality of the sound.
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

UnderBoss
Up and Coming

Post by UnderBoss » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:21 pm

lowendrick wrote: Yeah, I love my new (used) H-clamp. I move around a bit, but I guess not too much. Played a completely insane hippie festival on a farm in the middle of nowhere last night. Was supposed to go on at 10PM but they ran late and we didn't get on until 11:45PM. Soundman was in no mood for complicated rigs so I kept my AI amp in the car, clipped on the h-clamp with a Audix D2 and was good to go. Handed the soundman my XLR cable and went straight to the board. The band used a large condensor for vocals and 2 SM57s for instruments. Sounded really great. Incredibly clear and natural. But I'm guessing all those tripping hippies barely noticed the quality of the sound.
lowend,
I've been watching for a good deal on an Audix D2. You sound very happy with yours. Out here in the mid-west, we do a little cow-tipping now and then, but tripping hippies just sounds mean.
Medley #190, D'Addario Helicore Hybrids, K&K Bass Max / Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass Preamp
Audix D2 mic, Acoustic AB50

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:30 pm

UnderBoss wrote:
lowendrick wrote: Yeah, I love my new (used) H-clamp. I move around a bit, but I guess not too much. Played a completely insane hippie festival on a farm in the middle of nowhere last night. Was supposed to go on at 10PM but they ran late and we didn't get on until 11:45PM. Soundman was in no mood for complicated rigs so I kept my AI amp in the car, clipped on the h-clamp with a Audix D2 and was good to go. Handed the soundman my XLR cable and went straight to the board. The band used a large condensor for vocals and 2 SM57s for instruments. Sounded really great. Incredibly clear and natural. But I'm guessing all those tripping hippies barely noticed the quality of the sound.
lowend,
I've been watching for a good deal on an Audix D2. You sound very happy with yours. Out here in the mid-west, we do a little cow-tipping now and then, but tripping hippies just sounds mean.
:lol: maybe i shoulda said "trippin"
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Another nod for the H clamp/D2 combo...
Rick I don't know if I knew you got one of those. I guess you're happy with it on your bass? Which bass, btw?

.... and what festival was that?
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:24 am

bustamelon wrote:Another nod for the H clamp/D2 combo...
Rick I don't know if I knew you got one of those. I guess you're happy with it on your bass? Which bass, btw?

.... and what festival was that?
Busta, you were the one who pointed out the D2 on sale I believe. I've been using it on both my Meisel and Upton with good success.

The festival was the Elemental Energy Festival in Morris CT. I played with Katie Wilson and the Two Time String Band. We'll have to talk sometime. That festival is something else.
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

Kojack
Sub

Post by Kojack » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:19 am

I'm a big fan of pickups for their convenience and consistency. I have fewer concerns with feedback, and I don't have to worry about keeping the bass targeted to the mic whilst trying to dodge the mandolin player or keep a stray fiddle bow from going up my nose. The H-Clamp is one good solution to inconsistent mic placement. It allows you to match a microphone you really like with a consistent mounting system.

My personal choice has been the ATM-35 [shown below]. It's small, dependable, easy to carry, easy to set up and I can clamp it in an f-hole and forget about it. I'm a big fan of idiot-proof equipment, and the ATM-35 gives me that. Some may be concerned that a small-diaphragm condenser is a compromise that doesn't capture the full sound of an upright. That may be the case. But I've been satisfied with the results.

Cheers,
Chuck

rkparrish
Padawan

Post by rkparrish » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:51 pm

really glad this thread popped up. when you mic your bass do you mic over the f hole or over the body of the bass and why?
07 Upton with Innovation Blacks
40 Kay with Innovation Super Silvers