Sound setup question

Amplifiers, heads, speakers, cabinets, PAs
BullFiddle
Padawan

Sound setup question

Post by BullFiddle » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:47 pm

First of all, it's been a long time, hello to everyone, glad to see the forum it still active!

Wanted to get some input on sound setup within the bands everyone plays with.

From my Kay I run an Underwood pickup to my GK MB200. We recently got a BOSE tower PA, so I've been going from the DI of the amp to a balanced/MIC input of the PA. That works fairly good. However, recently I've got some complaints from band members that they can't hear me. We don't use monitors. I've also noticed that I can't really hear myself through the PA all that well either. I kind of want to add some type of bass monitor speaker behind me and the band. I have an Acoustic AB50 combo I think I can use but not sure how to work it in.

Does anybody run their signal through a PA as well as through a stage amp? I'd be curious to see how you set it up.

Another option I've been looking into is ditching the MB200 and getting a preamp/DI such as the Radial Tonebone.

MikeDBass
Greenhorn

Re: Sound setup question

Post by MikeDBass » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Hey Bullfiddle,

I play a lot through an amp DI'd to a sound system.

The AB50 has a line out. If the Bose system has a line input, you're in business. If not, just get a decent DI before the AB50 to run into the Bose XLR.

I have a Mark Bass combo that I run to systems from its built in DI that has a volume control. It sounds and works great. I haven't tried the Radial one, but have tried ProCo, Fishman B, Fishman Platinum, SansAmp and several house DI boxes, even an Avalon U5 . None of them work as well as the Mark Bass for me, though the Avalon was closest. The others are fine for electric bass, but not for the upright IMHO.

The search for tone is ongoing. :)

wineaux
Legend

Re: Sound setup question

Post by wineaux » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 pm

I use my Acoustic Image amp and tun it thru the PA. I can hear. The other players can hear. The audience can hear.
'47 Kay S-9
1960s carved German factory bass
1860s German flatback
Paul Beard bass Dobro
Kala U-bass