House Concerts

Any old topic that's on your mind, so long as it has *something* to do with bluegrass or bass.
flip18436572
Superstar

House Concerts

Post by flip18436572 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:52 am

Are they common in your area?

I had not heard of them until a few years ago, and because of getting back into music because of a great mandolin player, I probably still wouldn't know about them, because of all the cool players I have met in the last 6+ years.

There is a themed one for Broadway night. And I met one of the talented ladies that puts this on last fall, because they were playing a show and I ran sound for them and our acoustic band played also. So, I volunteered to be a double bass player if I could make it work. So, now I will be working on songs I have never played before and will be totally out of scope of playing, so here is to another huge learning curve.

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Re: House Concerts

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Sounds fun. And always stretches th ebrain to play different tunes w/ different folk in different places.

Around here - Chicago area - house concerts are something different. Often when "folk" acts travel to the area for shows, they will stay with someone local and that person will host a concert in their home. Essentially squeezing in an extra gig for a couple hundred extra $. I've seen some incredible talent in peoples' basements and living rooms. Often, there will be an open jam after the concert. Lots of fun!

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:29 am

Same as Dinsdale. Touring bands will stay at the home of a generous fan between shows, instead of spending $$ on a hotel room, and they will put on a small performance for some extra cash. There are a few people in this area who do it regularly and it's a great way to support the band and the music.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

lowendrick
Legend

Post by lowendrick » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm

I was due to play a sold-out 50-seat house concert tomorrow. It was just cancelled. Another snow storm expected tomorrow. :evil:
'14 New Standard Cleveland with Realist Lifeline
1940 Kay C-1
'95 Fender MIA P-bass
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo SERIES 4
Ampeg 1x15 -old Hot Rize rig w/Slade sticker
Acoustic 150b amp head
Schroeder Mini 12L

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:28 am

lowendrick wrote:I was due to play a sold-out 50-seat house concert tomorrow. It was just cancelled. Another snow storm expected tomorrow. :evil:
Awesome that you were in one, bummer that it was cancelled.

My wife and I have parties and usually have a band, but we never called them house concerts, because we pay for the band and all the food and the drink. Usually just 1 or 2 a year. We are thinking about doing more, and doing something more like a house concert.....