Happy Thanksgiving!

Any old topic that's on your mind, so long as it has *something* to do with bluegrass or bass.
MytBrednec
Superstar

Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by MytBrednec » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:10 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all my bass grass friends. I am thankful for so many things, but this place is definitely on the list!
Shawn
1949ish Gretsch 6185 archtop
1995 Gibson J-200
2000 Taylor 510
1956 Gibson LG 1 (technically this is my Mom's guitar)
1951 American Standard bass
3 fiddles
1 Washburn "F" mandolin
1970's Epiphone FT 140 guitar, my first guitar

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

Post by Dinsdale » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Don't eat too much, everybody!

Right now I'm thankful for the baritone uke a friend lent me. Really enjoying it. Thinking of getting one as an x-mas present.

BumArmBob
Sub

Post by BumArmBob » Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:02 pm

Hope ya'll had a great holiday!

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Happy Turkey!
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Liked my buddy's bari uke so much, I ordered one myself. Really fits my fingers better than guitar/mando. Will be nice to have something I can play sitting down!

Saw Hamilton the day before T-giving. Pretty good - as far as musicals go. My wife really loved it. Not sure why tix are so expensive...

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:10 pm

I own a travel uke, soprano uke, concert uke, tenor uke and a bass uke. I have never tried a baritone. I like the tenor and bass that best for me.

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:54 am

I've read/heard many a time, that no one who picks up a uke and plays it for a year, will have only 1 uke by the end of that year! Heck, they are so cheap, small, and prevalent, it would be hard not to amass at least a couple! Mine is (I think) pretty decent, and only cost me $230. Cordoba 23B in Ovangkol if anyone is interested. Really purty - and sounds great too. Heck, I could've gotten a vintage Martin for $1400 and had it shipped to my door! Want to experiment with strings? Careful - the really pricey ones might set you back $12 for a set! Again - a lot more accessible than bass. :D

My buddy who lent me his bari has quite a collection. He travels a lot for business, and says he tosses a soprano in his carryon. Try doing THAT with your bass! :lol: He tosses some songs on his phone, and finds it a heckuva better way to spend nights in hotel rooms than watching cable!

I think I like the bari because of the scale and the tuning. It is tuned like the top 4 strings of the guitar, so it simply progresses up from the bass. Makes sense to my easily-confused mind! The frets are not so close together. I used to have difficulty switching from the spread positions on my bass, to the tight chords on mando. The basic chords are a lot simpler than guitar/mando. With only 4 strings further apart, finger picking is a little easier than guitar/mando. I like the simplicity of not playing with a pick. Another thing - tho I don't (presently) envision mysef becoming one of thos "uke-people" ;), there ARE a lot of uke groups/meet-ups where I might pick up tips, as well as meet musically inclined folk who might wish to play music outside of uke groups.

Like I said, my main impetus was to get something to bring on trips to play along with my wife's fiddle. And to bring to jams where there is already enough bass. Bari uke really seems to fit the bill for me - for which I am truly thankful! Only problem is - I hope it doesn't take too much practice time away from the bass!

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 am

The best part about a Bari Uke for me, is that I also play guitar, so not having the E and A strings isn't that big of a deal to play some cool chords and things. OK - you talked me into another instrument!!!

THANKS!!!! I will give my wife your phone number so she can tell you thanks also.... :-)

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:38 am

Glad to spread marital discord around the holidays! :lol:

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:04 pm

Buy it, so I don't have to! :lol: