How to get someone booted from an open jam?

Any old topic that's on your mind, so long as it has *something* to do with bluegrass or bass.
flip18436572
Superstar

Re: How to get someone booted from an open jam?

Post by flip18436572 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am

That is when the song ends, I look at them directly and say something. Really, it needed a tamborine....or maybe nicely state the type of song it was and say it could have possibly used some brushes or other light percussion, but definitely not a tamborine. Or, thanks for the tamborine solo in the middle of a smooth, melodic song.

I would pull your group of musicians that sit as far away as possible from together. And bluntly say, yes this is an all inclusive group of musicians, but we need to curb this before it gets farther out of hand, or we are going to loose good musicians. And, even though I really appreciated all of you and the music you play, I will probably have to be the first to leave. This is no longer a fun event for me, because of "XYZ", and I want to enjoy the music that I play. I have loved playing with you guys for the last 3+ years and would love to continue to do so, but if it is stressful to play, then it really isn't fun for me anymore.

Just an idea..

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:28 am

We're on the same page, man. And I've been trying to do/say much of what you suggests. Thought of stopping the song when he started on the tamborine, but I always feel if I do something like that - I'm the one who will come across as the jerk. Instead, I said quietly to the guys nearest me, "Yeah, a tamborine is JUST what that song needed!" :roll:

I also don't want to come across as a prima donna, issuing an ultimatum. I'm pretty certain that the response will be "Don't let the door hit you in the ass..." :lol:

As someone mentioned upthread - I tend to be pretty self-deprecating/critical of my abilities. I'm relatively new to this group - as well as upright, and many of the pickers are crazy good.

Also, whoever mentioned being willing to speak up - reminded me of when I was in college and we were firing our drummer. The other guys suggested that I do it, "Since you have no tact!" :lol: So I've got a lifelong history of - ahem - speaking my mind. As I've passed into my 50s, I've been trying to keep my damned yap shut more often! Not always successful...

bustamelon
Site Admin

Post by bustamelon » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:51 pm

Dinsdale wrote:Couldn't believe it, tho. During the jam I led "Angels Laid Him Away (Louis Collins)" - a melodic, slowish-paced tune. Part way through it, the fucker decides what it needs is a freaking TAMBORINE! :shock:
:lol:

That's cause for a paddlin.
2007 New Standard Cleveland, #270 w/ Full Circle
Late 50s Epiphone w/ Realist
57 Fender Precision Reissue
Ampeg B-15 Fliptop
Acoustic Image Coda 2 Channel Combo Amplifier - SERIES 4

MytBrednec
Superstar

Post by MytBrednec » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:13 am

I played in a light rock and blues jam a few years back and one the drummers was extremely heavy handed. I didn't play very often and when I did, I played what I wanted to play, mostly really old country like Hank Sr. I came off the stage once and was talking to this really quality guitarist friend of mine and mentioned how heavy handed this particular drummer was playing. My buddy said, "yep, he plays drums like he is making horse shoes!" It was very funny. It is also amazing to me how rock and blues drummers can play 4\4 music all night and then you throw in a waltz song and they are completely lost. You would think that I guy that can count to 4 over and over again would be able to count to 3 once in awhile.
Shawn
1949ish Gretsch 6185 archtop
1995 Gibson J-200
2000 Taylor 510
1956 Gibson LG 1 (technically this is my Mom's guitar)
1951 American Standard bass
3 fiddles
1 Washburn "F" mandolin
1970's Epiphone FT 140 guitar, my first guitar

MikeDBass
Greenhorn

Post by MikeDBass » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 pm

"All good things must come to an end." -an old proverb

It used to be a good thing, but no longer is. You can fight it, and might even win. But if you win, you own it and being an unpaid jam boss is not a good thing. You can hang in, but it will be frustrating, may not resolve, and there's even a chance it might affect your playing. I'd just move on. There will be other good things and they, too, will come to an end.

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:43 am

MikeDBass wrote:"All good things must come to an end." -an old proverb

It used to be a good thing, but no longer is. You can fight it, and might even win. But if you win, you own it and being an unpaid jam boss is not a good thing. You can hang in, but it will be frustrating, may not resolve, and there's even a chance it might affect your playing. I'd just move on. There will be other good things and they, too, will come to an end.
Wise words. Starting November, we moved indoors to a coffee shop. REALLY tight quarters, and very loud. The beatbox hadn't shown up - until last Sat.

I lasted all of 3 songs, but chose to leave when he played a sprightly march tempo to Maiden's Prayer. :roll: I'll play it by ear, see how often he comes and at what time. If I still have 90 minutes or so to enjoy before he shows up, that will be fine. But if he starts showing more regularly and earlier, I'm outta there!

One good thing is that I've been picking up bari uke lately, and have 2 local uke groups I can play with during the week. Not the BG I most want to play, but fun opportunities to play with nice folk, while I actually learn a new instrument. They'd like me to play bass on occasion - or maybe u-bass, tho I haven't yet made my mind up. If I didn't have these other opportunities to play, I'd be more pissed about possibly losing this Sat jam.

Don't want to make it into "him or me". Who knows - they might pick him! :lol:

MikeDBass
Greenhorn

Post by MikeDBass » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm

I got a u bass last year and it's great. The only negative is that the strings have a lot of friction, hard to slide. Other than that it's worked at gigs and I've even done some recording with it. Lots of boom with good definition. It's not an upright clone, but fits in that category.

Glad the jam isn't completely finished, hopefully the percussion player (or rather the percussion instrument owner) will move on. But get that u bass. :)

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 pm

One of the coordinators of the uke jam has a u-bass and amp. (My dtr has my old bass and amp.) The jams have a meetup RSVP. I told them anytime I RSVPed, and the guy who normally plays u-bass isn't going to show, if they want to bring their U-bass setup, I'll play it. Tonight is Elvis tunes in honor of his 1/8/35 b-day. That could be fun...

Yeah, I'll probably get a u-bass along the way, but first I imagine a banjo uke, then probly a soprano for my granddaughter...

The beatbox didn't show up last week. It was nice. Several folk told me they really didn't want me to leave when he shows up, but none of them seem willing to say anything to discourage him from coming. It is funny how regularly the other guys say that they either barely heard him, or that they could ignore him. Sure, I imagine it WOULD be easier to ignore if you weren't trying to hold down the damned beat! :roll:

Good first week of the new year - played with people 5 out of 7 days! Not sure I can keep that pace up, but it sure is a nice start!

flip18436572
Superstar

Post by flip18436572 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:01 am

The only playing I have done in the last month is practice on my upright, acoustic, u-bass and my alto sax. I haven't jammed or practiced with the band as this is our normal shutdown period to have a life with family and get our minds off of the music we were playing. I miss the practices as much as I miss the performing.