Newbie Needs Advice re: H Luger VB200

Any old topic that's on your mind, so long as it has *something* to do with bluegrass or bass.
epager
Greenhorn

Newbie Needs Advice re: H Luger VB200

Post by epager » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Hello -

First post here. Have been offered the opportunity to purchase a 2015 H. Luger VB200 for $900.00 Anyone here have any experience with this bass? Longtime guitar and banjo picker but this is my first foray into the upright world and I have no frame of reference whatsoever. Is this a good deal? Any info/suggestions/recommendations will be most appreciated!!

Edd

wineaux
Legend

Re: Newbie Needs Advice re: H Luger VB200

Post by wineaux » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

Hi epager,

Not sure what this is. Eastman makes an upright called the VB200 but I've not seen it labeled H Luger before. A quick web search found one for sales for a hit over 2 grand, so if this is used, the price sounds reasonable. I'd look for a label. Eastman instruments, though made in China, are of reasonable quality.

If at all possible, take someone with you to play it and help you decide.

Don't buy an upright you can't see and play first!

As a rule of thumb, for that price or a little more you can upgrade from student rental models to a used US-made Englehardt. It'll serve you well and probably be easier to sell if it turns out not to be your cup of tea.
'47 Kay S-9
1960s carved German factory bass
1860s German flatback
Paul Beard bass Dobro
Kala U-bass

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:41 pm

Googling shows a few offerings of H Luger vb200. For example:

They all seem to say carved top, which generally would suggest a higher price point. But none has much info (or even good pics.)

I've never heard of them - which doesn't mean a thing. wineaux is right on - if you don't know how to play it, you would be well served to bring along someone who does. For a grand, you should be able to get an Englehardt (I love mine) or a Shen - or any number of other perfectly serviceable instruments. Realize that the setup is key. You might need to put an extra $500 into it for setup and strings. If it is a decent box and already setup, $900 would be a good price.

Gotta say tho, my personal opinion is that I would be hesitant to buy a bass I knew so little about. Google up Shen or Englehardt - you'll see all kinds of dealers, reviews and opinions. If it were my only bass, I'd be less likely to buy something I knew less about.

I have known professional giggers who bought cheap no-name basses, and had them set up well, just because of the tendency for basses to get damaged during travel. My wife likes her $50 fiddle for that reason. If someone steps on it at a festival, she's only out $50 (and her finish/setup worth several hundred $!)

epager
Greenhorn

Post by epager » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the advice!!

Dinsdale
Rising Star

Post by Dinsdale » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:34 pm

wineaux wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am
Not sure what this is. Eastman makes an upright called the VB200 but I've not seen it labeled H Luger before.
That Eastman looks like it is fully carved. Wouldn't $900 impress you as quite inexpensive for a decent fully carved bass if it were in any kind of shape?